EMMA Cryopreservation Workshop, Madrid, Spain, 7-8 May 2012
The International Society for Transgenic Technologies (ISTT) co-sponsors the EMMA Cryopreservation Workshop, organized by EMMA (the European Mouse Mutant Archive) and CSIC (the Spanish Research Council) and to be held at the CSIC Main Campus, in Madrid (Spain), on 7-8 May 2012. The Organizers of this workshop are Martin Fray (Mammalian Genetics Unit, MRC, Harwell, UK; Biological Resources Manager at the EMMA node in MRC-MGU-Harwell and ISTT Member), Michael Hagn (Institute of Experimental Genetics, HMGU, Munich, Germany; EMMA Project Manager) and Lluis Montoliu (National Center of Biotechnology, CNB-CSIC, Madrid, Spain; Spanish EMMA node co-ordinator and ISTT Member). The Organizers have selected a number of speakers in the field and hot topics in cryopreservation with a main focus on technology. The main aim of this workshop is to discuss openly all topics at length and in depth, from past and present initiatives, undertaken by the various archiving initiatives world-wide, invited to this workshop, to the current and future challenges all bio-repositories have to face and address adequately. Topics that will be discussed include: embryo and organ cryopreservation, sperm cryopreservation and IVF, ICSI, mouse production, morula/ES aggregation method, transportation issues with frozen and unfrozen biological material and various continental efforts towards cryopreservation. Additional information can be obtained from workshop web site.
Confirmed invited participants include:
- Sue Bath (Melbourne, Australia)
- Martina Crispo (Institut Pasteur, Montevideo, Uruguay)
- Xiang Gao (Model Animal Research Center, Nanjing University, Nanjing, P.R. China)
- Marina Gertsenstein (Toronto Centre for Phenogenomics, Toronto, ON, Canada)
- Alan Hart (MRC-Human Genetics Unit at MRC/IGMM, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK)
- Jean Jaubert (Institut Pasteur, Paris, France)
- Carlisle Landel (Thomas Jefferson University, Kimmel Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA)
- Kent Lloyd (Mouse Biology Program, University of California, Davis, CA, USA)
- Peter Mazur (The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA)
- Keiji Mochida (RIKEN Bioresource Center, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki, Japan)
- Pedro Moreira (European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Monterotondo/Rome, Italy)
- Naomi Nakagata (Center for Animal Resources & Development-CARD, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan)
- Lauryl Nutter (Toronto Centre for Phenogenomics, Toronto, ON, Canada)
- Atsuo Ogura (RIKEN Bioresource Center, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki, Japan)
- Sagrario Ortega (National Cancer Research Center, CNIO-ISCIII, Madrid, Spain)
- Belén Pintado (National Center of Biotechnology, CNB-CSIC, Madrid, Spain)
- Marcello Raspa (EMMA-CNR, Monterotondo/Rome, Italy)
- Stuart Read (The Australian National University, The Australian Phenomics Facility, Canberra, Australia)
- Jorge Sztein (CMB Cryopreservation and Assisted Reproduction, NIAID-NIH, Rockville, MD, USA)
- Rob Taft (The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Arbor, ME, USA)
- Toru Takeo (Center for Animal Resources & Development-CARD, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan)
- Xavier Warot (Center of PhenoGenomics, School of Life Sciences, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland)
- Michael Wiles (The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Arbor, ME, USA)
In addition, the EMMA Cryopreservation workshop will be attended by delegates from EMMA nodes and up to ten (10) current* ISTT members selected among applicants with expertise in cryopreservation, on behalf of the EMMA-ISTT cooperation agreement, for mutual promotion and collaboration, currently in place, and thanks to the specific co-sponsorship of the ISTT agreed by the ISTT council for this EMMA workshop. This is a highly specialized workshop with about 60 participants, all attending by invitation. However, up to ten ISTT members with expertise in cryopreservation will be able to benefit and attend. ISTT members interested and willing to attend this meeting can submit their applications to Lluis Montoliu (email@example.com), including a CV and a letter describing how the applicant will benefit from attending the workshop, but also how the applicant will be able to contribute to discussions. Applications should be sent by email to Lluis Montoliu by February 29th, 2012. Thereafter, Organizers will review all received applications and select up to ten ISTT Members with expertise in cryopreservation. All invited participants will be encouraged to actively take part in all discussions throughout the meeting. There is no registration fee for this workshop. Selected ISTT members will be entitled to one night accommodation (7 to 8 May 2012) on behalf of the Organization of this workshop. All participants will be invited to the official Workshop dinner on May 7.
Also, in an effort to disseminate the outcome of this workshop among interested colleagues, the Organizers will make the workshop abstracts, submitted by invited speakers, and some/all of speakers’ slides available on the public EMMA and ISTT web sites, after obtaining the specific permission to share material from each invited speaker.
(*) current ISTT members are those registered/renewed in 2012.